tin roof

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fresh bread with my new starter!

I'm getting back into my whole wheat sour dough starter/bread making and the first 2 loaves are great!  I'm very happy with it!  I've got to say, the yeasty beasties in Los Banos are wild and crazy and make a really nice loaf.  I began my starter with only w.w. flour and bottled water.  Every day I fed it once or twice for a week.  By about day 5 or 6 I wanted to try baking with it so I fed it twice that day, getting it ready for rising.  The next morning I checked on it and it had bubbled up and out of my container, dripping down 2 shelves!  Wowser!  That is some active yeast!  I ended up adding more flour and letting it rise overnight and baked 2 loaves this morning.  Oooh, did it ever smell good!

I also have rebooted my kombucha and this might be my best season of making it yet.  I'm using green tea and a blueberry tea bag.  Perfect!  I will be ordering kefir grains soon so I can get some more healthy probiotics into my belly.  Hoping all this will help combat the annoying problem my gut seems to be having.

Here's a picture of the bread:

And if you're curious, here's a picture of my continous-brewed kombucha:
Can't wait for the comments on this!  LOL  It really IS super tasty!  It's kind of tangy, similar to apple cider and full of probiotics.

1 comment:

Margaret Look said...

So Julie, what is the recipe to get both of these started? Like Riley's haircut, it always makes them look so much older.
Aunt Margaret