tin roof

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Red Ribbon Run 5K

Yesterday was a success and a whole lot of fun!  I was able to find the race in a town I have never been in.  It was about 50 min. away so not too terribly far.  The rain stayed away and the temp was about 62...perfect!  There was also a rainbow!  There were only about 80 runners so this was a smaller race than my 5K last year.  Motrin was working well on these old joints and aside from Riley NOT enjoying himself in the stroller, it was a great run!  I was quite surprised Riley was so mad the 35 min. he was riding, although it was a rather bumpy ride.  Cracks in the road everywhere except for one small stretch were a little rough but it wasn't too bad to push thru.  This was an out and back race with a couple very small inclines.  I passed  people here and there and finished 5th out of 9 in my age bracket for women with a time of 35:33.  I wanted to be under 36:00 so that was a pretty good time.

After the race, I drove back toward home and on to a  city 40 min. away to meet up with a new friend I met online.  We met for lunch at Panera Bread - yum!  Great conversation and such a nice gal - the mother of 5 girls.  We hope to run many races together in the future.

John and I finished the day with poker next door at Charlie and Kristie's.  All in all, it was a great day!

I think I am going to up my mileage and try to run 20 miles/week.  Perhaps it's a little ambitious but I would love to do a half marathon and full marathon in the next 12 months.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Julie, too bad Riley didn't enjoy, don't hurt those joints as they don't get any better with age.
Aunt Margaret