tin roof

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's official...I'm gimpy

What a way to bring a girl down, by telling her she can't run for 6 months!  Not fair!!  And I'm going to miss 2 races to boot!  Wahhhhhh!  So, for those who have not heard my whining yet, I seem to have injured my hip.  I know, this really sucks.  I am not exactly sure HOW it happened but I guess it had to do with putting more mileage on these old bones.  It started hurting after a 6-mile run a week before christmas so I rested it a few days, it felt better, so I ran again.  After that run it started aching more and the following few days it was so bad that I could barely walk on it.  Going up and down the stairs hurt incredibly, not to mention adding the wt. of lil Ri-guy.  After a couple weeks I saw the doc to see what he thought and got xrays and was sent to the Ortho.  Mr. Ortho ordered an MRI of my lower back and the right hip and a small spot of edema (swelling) was noted at the bottom of the 'ball' of the femur bone.  He called this a stress reaction, or pre-stress fracture.  Had I kept running on it (umm, like what I did over the weekend??) it would have turned into a fracture and I'd need surgery with a metal rod!  Ack!  I don't have time for that!  So now, I am sidelined.  I hate this!  The weather is getting really nice out and there's nothing better than getting out there on a sunny day and a cool breeze and running to whatever is playing on my ipod.  At least, not in MY book.  Now what?  Well, I have reinflated my bike tires and I think I am going to have to put a few gazillion miles on this piece of equipment while the ole hip heals.  I've got 18 weeks till I can run again and I just hope I can get back to where I was a few weeks ago.  I will also get back into weights - nothing like a little gentle muscle work to help get circulation to that hard-to-heal spot.

Wish me luck!

On a side note, here's a cute video clip of my cutie batutie:

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Sorry for the setback :( That stinks! I know you will use your time off wisely and come back an even stronger runner! Get well soon!