tin roof

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

House Hunting!

Yes, we've been here just over a year and a half and are thinking about moving. Ugh. But this time we are looking to BUY. Whoa! I have friends that live on the other side of the 'golden hills' and house prices there just might match Michigan these days! No kidding! We drove it the weekend before last, twice, and John doesn't think it's too bad a drive. It's actually a very pretty drive over the hills. He will plan to work more from home, eventually get a new car, and we will save at least half of what we've been paying in rent lately. That will be totally worth it. We will no longer spend every day driving to San Jose and back and will look for things in that community. I am even willing to start our own Cadette/Senior girl scout troop! The little town is called Los Banos and appears to be a new commute for San Jose workers.
My friends moved there last summer and absolutely love it! They homeschool as well and her twin girls are Steph's age and best buddies. Her son is Zack's age and they are best buddies too! The kids are rather excited to live near friends and to NOT have to spend so much time in the car. We were pre-approved for a VA loan and will finish getting our paperwork in to the loan officer this week to get the show on the road. I think John's hiding one of our W-2's and he's been on the east coast for 10 days so I need him home to find it.
We've been looking at houses online together, me here, him there, and found one we are really interested in. There are a few others we also want to look at and will hopefully get to do that this weekend.
We are a little motivated to do this asap as that tax credit that's been extended will be nice next year. I think we have until April 30 to sign a contract. That just adds a tiny bit of complication to my already crazy life. With girl scout cookie season starting this Friday (I'm in charge of cookies for Steph's troop again), a baby due in March, and maybe moving in April...who WOULDN'T be thrilled?? LOL
Baby Boo seems to be growing nicely. Hitting the 9-weeks-to-go marker tomorrow. I've felt overly tired out lately and can't consume enough caffeine to keep me going. I'm still waiting for that 'burst of energy' to hit. Anyday now would be great. He's been such a squirmy little guy and the movements are beginning to get uncomfortable, not to mention the endless contractions. Is it almost March?
And then there's our schooling. School's going well, I have to say. We found math curriculum for the girls that are great matches and both are doing well. Max, on the other hand, is just not clicking with 3rd grade math. And neither am I! Argh! I'll bet I threaten public school on him more than once a week! Of course, it doesn't mean a thing to him since he hasn't a clue what it's like to GO TO school. But still, 90 min. to do a page of math?? Really??? I think I'm actually doing public school a favor in keeping this kid home! What teacher needs one more of these pokey kids in their classroom? We'll keep pushing onward...with a smile :-)
I suppose I had better put the apples and almond butter away and hit the sack. John will be home tomorrow evening and I should probably get an early start on the laundry before he hits me with 10-days' worth! Oy!

No comments: